The kids and I are reading Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery and I just can’t get enough of Anne’s little sayings. She has a wonderfully marvelous perspective, and a very unique and often humorous way of expressing herself. That being said, here are my top ten quotes from Anne of Green Gables.
10. “It’s been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.”
9. “Isn’t it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive–it’s such an interesting world. It wouldn’t be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There’d be no scope for imagination then, would there?
8. “There’s such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I’m such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn’t be half so interesting.”
7. “Oh, it’s delightful to have ambitions. I’m so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them– that’s the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting.”
6. “Look at that sea, girls–all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn’t enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds.”
5. “It’s so hard to get up again—although of course the harder it is the more satisfaction you have when you do get up, haven’t you?”
4. “It is ever so much easier to be good if your clothes are fashionable.”
3. “We pay a price for everything we get or take in this world; and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won, but exact their dues of work and self denial, anxiety and discouragement.”
2. “It has always seemed to me. ever since early childhood, amid all the commonplaces of life, i was very near to a kingdom of ideal beauty. Between it and me hung only a thin veil. I could never draw it quite aside, but sometimes a wind fluttered it and I caught a glimpse of the enchanting realms beyond-only a glimpse-but those glimpses have always made life worthwhile.”
1. “Dear old world’, she murmured, ‘you are very lovely, and I am glad to be alive in you.”