“the most improper job of any man, even saints (who at any rate were at least unwilling to take it on), is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.” J.R.R. Tolkien
The kids and I just finished reading “The Hobbit” by J.R.R. Tolkien. It is my absolute, all time favorite book, and I am happy to report that the kids quite enjoyed it as well. So, with that in mind, here are my top ten quotes from Mr. Tolkien’s books, including a few from The Hobbit.
10. “I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”― J.R.R. Tolkien
9. “Never laugh at live dragons.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
8. “Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
7. “The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
6. “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
5. “It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
4. “There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
3. “How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep…that have taken hold.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
2. “The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
1. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien